Ethical Goodies List
(Most if not all can be found at your local grocery stores or cooperative. If not, you can check out the Natural Candy Store or google the brands websites!)
Fair Trade and ethically sourced products tend to be a little higher in price. However, the quality is much, much higher than conventional products. Plus, most brands, unless specifically stated organic, sustainably /ethically sourced or Fair Trade, use child labor, slavery, and make their laborers work in horrible, inhumane conditions. Children often are forced to work from 6am. until late in the evening and are frequently forced to use tools like chainsaws…. So, by supporting the brands listed below you are taking a stand against these conditions and using your dollars to vote for a better world! If you cannot find much information on the brand you are researching, I can almost guarantee they are not ethically sourced. Brands like Mars chocolate have made empty promises to be sustainably sourced by 2020 but have made few moves to do so. Many companies are very secretive about where their ingredients come from.
Please take a look at how your Food is Power.
- Tony’s Chocolonely
- Theo Chocolate
- Alter Eco
- Unreal (the equivalent of Fair Trade M&M’s!)
- Equal Exchange
- Endangered Species Chocolate
- Divine Chocolate
- Green & Black’s
- Theo Chocolate has Fair Trade peanut butter cups-great alternative to Reeses Cups. These usually can be found at Martins or Giant
- Unreal can be found at Target, The Common Market, and Martins. Great Fair Trade alternative to M&M’s to add some color to your goodies!
- Wholesome has organic and sometimes Fair Trade gummies, lollipops, and even sugar at comparable prices at nearly any grocery store you go to.
There are so many ethically sourced goodies out there, but these have been my favorite over the years. Let me know in the comments what YOUR favorite brand is!